The 4 C’s Buyers Guide: How To Shop For Loose Diamonds
When shopping for a 1 carat diamond ring you need to know about the 4 C’s buyer’s guide. The 4 C’s consist of: cut, color, carat clarity and shape.
- Cut is a very important “C” because it directly influences a diamond’s sparkle. Perfect symmetry and precise cuts give diamonds the highest values.
- Color is also a very important buying factor. Color rating refers to a diamond’s lack of color. A chemically pure and structurally perfect diamond has no hue. Consequently, low hue equals high value. Moreover, the more clear the diamond is, the more value it has. (***4 C’s color grading does not refer to fancy color diamonds. ie. blue, pink, yellow, black, etc…***)
- Carat refers to the diamond’s total weight, not size. For example, two diamonds of equal carat weight differ in price because of the three other C’s. A 1 carat diamond is equal to 0.2 grams. A 5 carat diamond is equal to 1.0 grams.
- Clarity evaluation is based on internal and external blemishes. The blemishes are microscopic. As a result, clarity is not as influential as say cut or carat.
- Shape is not one of the 4C’s, but it a very crucial aspect of diamond shopping. There are 10 main shapes available at James Allen. There are round shape, princess shape, cushion shape, emerald shape, pear shape, oval shape, radiant shape, Asscher shape, heart shape and marquis shape cut diamonds. But, the extraordinary sparkle of ideal cut diamonds by James Allen is available in round and princess shape cuts.